In Application Compatibility Toolkit/Remediation projects, sometimes it becomes necessary to apply shims to fix compatibility issues.
In App-V 5.0, you can’t add SHIMS along with the packages and that is why they must be supplied separately.
The process for using shims in App-V packages:
The process for creating a shim for App-V project is not same as for a standard MSI project.
- The shim deployment differs in App-V (compared to MSI) because of the isolated nature of App-V packages.
- If a shim is applied inside a sequenced package, the shim engine i.e. which is local on the machine is unable to access the shim.
- Therefore, the shim needs to be deployed locally on the client machine.
- A shim takes the form of a SDB file. One SDB file should be created per (related) package.
- The shim should be named as <Application ID>.sdb.
- A Shims folder, containing the shim for the package should be provided in the root of the package folder (the same level as the package’s like DeploymentConfig.xml, UserConfig.xml, Report.xml, .AppV and .msi etc.).
- You can add a note to the readme, instructing the customer to install the shim locally on client machines.
- Please use the following command lines:
Install Command Line:
sdbinst.exe –q <Path to shim>\<AppID>.sdb
Uninstall Command Line:
sdbinst.exe –u <Path to shim>\<AppID>.sdb
Disclaimer: Developer’s Corner Section of ISHIR blog is contributed and maintained by independent developers. The content herein is not necessarily validated by ISHIR.
- Microsoft Windows Server
- Open Source
- Managed Security Services
- Artificial Intelligence
- PSD Slicing
- Developers Corner
- Pay Per Click (PPC)
- Mobile Application Development
- Managed Hosting
- Microsoft .NET Custom Development
- Software Testing
- Microsoft SharePoint Development
- Microsoft Windows Azure
- Offshore Development
- Outsourcing Software Development
- Microsoft Office 365
- Non-Profit IT
- Application Virtualization & Packaging
- Digital Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media
- Website Development
- Cloud Computing
ISHIR is a globally diversified leading offshore software development company with experience and expertise in a broad range of services and solutions. With 15 years of experience in the IT industry, ISHIR enables cost-effective and dependable software outsourcing solutions. We have over 900 satisfied clients across the globe and matured to become an extension of their internal teams.
We are experts in the field of software development, web design and development, managed cloud services, software testing, application development services and customer software development. India is a sought after market for addressing software development outsourcing requirements for enterprises across the world. ISHIR offers the value add of in-depth knowledge of all the key industries combined with the commitment to innovate and offer next-generation technological advantage. As a renowned custom software development company in India, one of the key differentiators that we offer is to understand our clients’ business objectives and challenges and align the right technology to provide customized solutions.
Headquartered in Dallas, with global delivery center in Noida, India, we are one of the preferred software development companies with a unique combination of skilled people, world-class processes and robust technology. ISHIR has a successful track record of delivering hundreds of projects using various tools and technologies. We have delivered on-time and on-budget custom software development services and application development services. Using our flexible delivery models, we have ensured success in all our offshore outsourcing projects. We have added substantial value and savings for our clients, often exceeding up to 85%, making us a dependable offshore Software Development Company. As a front runner software development company, India, we ensure that we go the extra mile to maximize ROI for our clients and act always as a trusted advisor of our clients.