During Installation, there are times when you encounter this fatal error 1603. The message is displayed by the Windows Installer Engine which indicates that something went wrong during installation.
DO YOU KNOW THE REASONS FOR THIS ERROR?
There are 10 possible reasons due to which this error message could be seen. These are –
i. Short file name creation on the target machine is disabled
ii. The install script (isscript) custom action has been prototyped incorrectly
iii. If you are unable to overwrite, check if the file is locked
iv. Microsoft installer service engine is not installed properly
v. Check for the temp (temporary) folders & files. They might be full
vi. The setup gets corrupted after installation and this error message pops up, failing uninstallation as well.
vii. Are you using an older version of install shield developer?
viii. Source is not available or there is invalid source path.
ix. Supporting or cab files are missing to continue the installation or uninstallation
x. File sharing and Print is not installed or enabled while installing MSDE 2000.
How to fix this error:
Follow the under-mentioned steps to resolve this error:
- On the target machine, make sure you have enabled short file name creation. Using registry, you can disable or enable the short file name.
On this registry hive “ntfsDisable8dot3NameCreation”, set the value as 0 to enable.
In the same hive, set value as 1 to disable the short file name.
- Before proceeding further, ensure that Microsoft windows installer is installed properly & configured. It is recommended that the users should install the Instmsi.exe on Windows 95/98/Me flatworms or else InstmsiW.exe on the NT systems. These particular recommended files are shipped with install shield application and are located at the following place –
<Product Path>\Redist\Language Independent\i386
- Delete all the temporary files & folders which are already there in your system. Open RUN command and type %TMP% or %TMP%. Under location, clear all the folders which will refresh the machine. If the temporary folders exceed a limit, the particular space will not be able to extract the temporary files and folder on the location.
- Make sure that no other application is running at the same time on the same machine including utilities (like virus scan and few more process running in the background). Try to kill those services and then try to re-install your application.
After installing the application, if you find that the program wasn’t installed properly and needs uninstallation, use Microsoft Windows Installer. Using this, you can easily uninstall the application.
Disclaimer: Developer’s Corner Section of ISHIR blog is contributed and maintained by independent developers. The content herein is not necessarily validated by ISHIR.
- Digital Transformation
- Bookkeeping and Accounting Services
- Big Data Analytics
- Microsoft Windows Server
- Open Source
- Managed Security Services
- Artificial Intelligence
- PSD Slicing
- Developers Corner
- Pay Per Click (PPC)
- Mobile Application Development
- Managed Hosting
- Microsoft .NET Custom Development
- Software Testing
- Microsoft SharePoint Development
- Microsoft Windows Azure
- Offshore Development
- Outsourcing Software Development
- Microsoft Office 365
- Non-Profit IT
- Application Virtualization & Packaging
- Digital Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media
- Website Development
- Cloud Computing
ISHIR is a globally diversified leading offshore software development company with experience and expertise in a broad range of services and solutions. With 15 years of experience in the IT industry, ISHIR enables cost-effective and dependable software outsourcing solutions. We have over 900 satisfied clients across the globe and matured to become an extension of their internal teams.
We are experts in the field of software development, web design and development, managed cloud services, software testing, application development services and customer software development. India is a sought after market for addressing software development outsourcing requirements for enterprises across the world. ISHIR offers the value add of in-depth knowledge of all the key industries combined with the commitment to innovate and offer next-generation technological advantage. As a renowned custom software development company in India, one of the key differentiators that we offer is to understand our clients’ business objectives and challenges and align the right technology to provide customized solutions.
Headquartered in Dallas, with global delivery center in Noida, India, we are one of the preferred software development companies with a unique combination of skilled people, world-class processes and robust technology. ISHIR has a successful track record of delivering hundreds of projects using various tools and technologies. We have delivered on-time and on-budget custom software development services and application development services. Using our flexible delivery models, we have ensured success in all our offshore outsourcing projects. We have added substantial value and savings for our clients, often exceeding up to 85%, making us a dependable offshore Software Development Company. As a front runner software development company, India, we ensure that we go the extra mile to maximize ROI for our clients and act always as a trusted advisor of our clients.