The future of the healthcare industry is here! AI is the future, and it is already transforming healthcare with its precision medicine approach, preventive care and effective disease management.
It was in early 1950s that Artificial Intelligence came into being and stirred some excitement. However, it wasn’t until the 1980s that some real action started as Machine Learning started to flourish. After 2010s, Deep Learning started to drive the AI boom. As per a Stanford Study, AI is set to have a deeper impact in certain industries, which are healthcare, public safety and security, education, transportation, entertainment and low services communities.
Experts feel, unfortunately, that the number of diseases are increasing as the world’s population is growing. For a long time, there have been views that Artificial Intelligence (AI) can effectively address the growing challenges of the Healthcare Industry.
Unlike what many people believe, AI cannot replace doctors and surgeons. AI can instead help provide an operational environment so that the world-class healthcare practitioners can give their best. Though it may sound unexciting compared to all the excitement that AI can enable, it helps provide a better operational environment and reduces the cost of healthcare services. All the changes that AI are expected to bring about in the healthcare industry will take place sometime soon. Already, there are a number of leading hospitals which are able to save time and reduce cost for the patients using AI.
With an increasing adoption of AI in the healthcare industry, both doctors and hospitals will experience a number of benefits. AI can take care of issues that require standard procedures and help free up time of healthcare professionals to focus on more critical, complex and unique issues. For example, GE Healthcare and the University of San Francisco are working towards putting digital health into action by developing a library of deep learning algorithms that will improve efficiency, speed and accuracy for clinicians to interpret scans and diagnose patients faster.
What are the most significant changes that AI will bring in the Healthcare industry?
- There will be application of intelligent systems that will impact the care management of prevalent chronic diseases
- Patients will have access to patient-centric data such as influences of pollution exposure, weather factors and economic factors. This will help to generate precision medicine solutions that can be customized to individual characteristics
- There can be in-depth analysis of genetic information along with care management and precision medicine. This will help provide the best possible medical treatment plans
- Earlier identification of diseases is possible with clinical decision support systems
- With the help of cognitive insights, machine intelligence can help with human decision making
- With machine intelligence based cognitive agents, there can be sheer voice commands to engage with patients and to even perform tasks like admitting patients to hospitals
Reduced medical errors, more consultation time for doctors, easy healthcare delivery and better utilization of healthcare practitioners’ time – well, the expectations are many and will be fulfilled in the next couple of years.
If you wish to discuss the future of AI in your industry, it’s time to give us a call.